Tuesday, January 15, 2013

7 Months Old...

Boys,
 
Prepare to laugh at me and tell me that I am old, but I have always been a fan of country music. Your Uncle B used to tease me because I could go from listening to MC Hammer to Backstreet Boys to Garth Brooks. For some strange reason, I have always loved country music. Two of my favorite country songs of all-time are:
 
"Your Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins


-AND-

"Don't Blink" by Kenny Chesney 


As much as I have always liked those songs, they have recently taken on a new meaning for me. Before, I had no idea. As mommy was pregnant with you guys, people told us to be ready because time was going to fly by. And, at first, we believed them. The pregnancy stage flew by. It was over before we knew it. And, your mommy was a fighter. She carried the two of you for 38 weeks. That takes a tough woman. As the end of the pregnancy approached, we weren't sure just how ready we were for this new adventure. We "thought" we were ready, but we had no idea.

The first 12 weeks were overwhelming to say the least. Even with all the help provided by family and friends, especially Mema and Tutu, Mommy and I were still seriously overwhelmed. As time passed, the majority of the help disappeared. Mommy and I were exhausted, overwhelmed, and wondering just what we had gotten ourselves into. But, the smiles and coos of two handsome little dudes reminded us just what we had gotten ourselves into and just how lucky we were to have gotten into it.  In the words of Garth Brooks, "some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers". Our unanswered prayer for one boy changed our lives forever. And, we are forever grateful for that.

It is hard to believe that it has been 7 months since they two of you came into this world screaming up a storm. It is hard to believe that I have been your dad for that long. It is amazing to think of all we have done and all that we have been there. But, it is difficult to think about how fast it all has gone by. I have to try not to blink because I know I'm gonna miss this.

I am going to miss the late night bottles and the early morning Baby Einsteins. I am going to miss the bath time and screeching of the baby monitor. I know much of that is awhile off, but in the back of my head, I know it is coming. And, I am going to miss it.
 
Braxton...
I am going to miss how you coo and hum "Lavender Blue" back at mommy when you are tired. I am going to miss how you laugh at my obnoxious monkey noises. I am going to miss watching you do laps and laps in your walker. I am going to miss our late night snuggling sessions and how you scratch my cheeks when I feed you at night. I am going to miss how you look into my eyes and smile. I am going to miss snuggling with my baby boy!
 
 
Boston...
I am going to miss how you say "ma ma ma" when you are tired and really want your mommy. I am going to miss how you laugh when I lip-sync Mariah Carey songs to you. I am going to miss watching you do the Riverdance in your jumper. I am going to miss our early Saturday morning snuggle sessions and how you pull on my lips when I feed you at night. I am going to miss how you look into my eyes and smile. I am going to miss snuggling with my baby boy. 

 Boys...we will still snuggle, we will still laugh, we will still smile...just on a different stage than the one before.

You are growing before my eyes and it is incredible to see. It is hard to imagine that the tiny boys I held 7 months ago are the ones sitting in front of me on their own today. Time flies. You have to cherish it while you have it. And, I cherish every minute that I spend with each of you.

I love you guys!

Love,
Dad 

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. You are a very talented writer. This post brought tears to my eyes, not only for the truth of how quickly the time passes, but also because of the love that is felt throught your writing to the boys.
    Love you guys, Riss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Riss. I appreciate the kind words.

      Delete
  2. Boys,

    I know just how your daddy feels. I miss the days when all our kids were home with us. In the olden times once kids got married they didn't travel very far from where their parents lived. In this day and age that isn't always true. I am blessed that I get to see your daddy, mommy, you two, uncle B, aunt Riss, Kennedy and Shane, often. That is a blessing to me.

    However, the "You're Gonna Miss This" song your dad put on here brought tears to my eyes. It reminds me of my little girl, your Aunt Ashlee. She doesn't live by us so we don't see her that often. It makes me sad.

    Time flies and you will be grown and on your own before you know it. Stay close to your family. They all love you very much.

    I love you, Nana

    ReplyDelete