Thursday, February 23, 2012

Be Grateful...

Dear Boston and Braxton,

I have been uniquely blessed. I was born to a wonderful family who shares unconditional love. You boys are also going to be blessed to a family full of love and compassion. I was lucky enough to be born in America, a land to cherish. You boys will also be lucky enough to be born in America. I was lucky enough to be born into a family with parents who busted their butts everyday to make sure I had a roof over my head, food in my belly, clothes on my back, and anything else I needed. You boys will also be born to such a family. Your mother and I work very hard to make sure our little family has everything it needs and everything we are going to need. At times, it may be difficult. At times, it is hard. At times, we may struggle.

BUT...remember to ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL for what you have. When I was growing up, my mom and dad (Nanie and Papi) always taught me to be grateful for the blessings in our lives. They taught me to appreciate the little things. They taught me to be grateful for what we had/have. If I can pass one lesson onto you boys, that might be it. Always be thankful for what you have. Don't be envious of what you don't. Remember that people work hard for the things that they have. Also, remember that we have been blessed to live in a place where we can have these things.

One thing that always disappoints your Papi is when people are ungrateful. Remember to be thankful for everything you have. Be thankful for those people in your life. Be thankful for the food on your plate. Be thankful for the clothes on your back. Be thankful for the roof over your head. Be thankful for the cars your parents drive. Be thankful for love. Be thankful for compassion. Be grateful for life, health, and the gifts from your Heavenly Father.

There are plenty of children suffering. They are cold. They are hungry. They are alone. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as I look at videos of children suffering all over the world. I couldn't bring myself to post pictures of their suffering here, but they are suffering (Suffering Children). And, it is very sad. It is even more sad when we complain about the things that we have.

Be understanding! Be patient! Be charitable!

In this life, you can make a huge impact on people around you. A simple smile...a small greeting...a little gift...a kind word...each can change a person's day. Each can make a person smile. Each could save a life. Remember, you never know what someone else is going through.

These days, I read Facebook updates full of people who are angry and complaining. They are upset about America. Well, America is still the most free and special place on Earth. Don't forget that. We have amazing men and women who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice so much. Remember them. Remember what they stand for and what they fought for. Do not forget them EVER. If you ever see a soldier, thank them. They have helped give me so much. Because of them, I can write this blog. Because of them, I can speak my mind. Because of them, I can go to work. Because of them, I speak English. Because of them, I can choose what I want for lunch. Because of them, I can own a home. Because of them, I AM FREE!


Do not complain because you have a job. Do not complain because you can receive a free education. Do not complain because you have the right to go to school. Do not complain because some people are not as lucky or as blessed as you.

Your mother and I have worked very hard to own a home. We have worked very hard so that we could have good jobs. We have worked hard for everything that we have. BUT, we have also been VERY blessed. Some people are not as blessed as we are. Some people do not come from supportive homes. Some people are not given the same opportunities as we are. It doesn't mean that they are not trying their best. I was blessed to know a friend, who helped me get an interview for a great job. I worked hard to deserve the interview. And, I worked hard and continue to work hard everyday since I was hired. But, without that blessing, I may be in a different boat. Who knows?! I have met plenty of people who try very hard but are stuggling. They do not have the resources to help them. Earlier this week, a friend posted on Facebook complaining about a woman who was struggling and on welfare. She proceeded to talk about how she works full-time and goes to school, etc. I felt this was wrong. She doesn't know what the other woman has been through. The other woman may work a minimum wage job or two to get by. She may be doing this while taking care of her children because their dad ran out. Moral of the story...WE DON'T KNOW...so DON'T JUDGE.

Be giving! Remember, our Lord, our Savior, Jesus Christ...didn't judge anyone. He forgave EVERYONE. He LOVED everyone. He would help anyone. We need to be CHRISTLIKE. We need to share what we can with others. Those who are less fortunate, those who struggle, those who are not as blessed as us...need help. Would we help Christ if he was in that situation? Remember...Jesus said, "whatever you did to the least of these, you did unto me".

Be a light! Give, thank, and love.

Jesus asked us to love one another. He suffered. He died. For all of US!
We have the same picture as the one above hanging in our hallway. It has been my favorite picture for years. When I was growing up, it hanging in the hallway by my bedroom. It always reminds me how much my Elder Brother suffered for me. The tears show his pain. He eyes full of worry for us. And, the crown of thorns represent his suffering. He sacrificed so much for us. We need to strive to be the people he expects us to be. I strive everyday to be the man he knows I can be. I need to give more. I need to thank more. I need to love more. I need to be better about being GRATEFUL for the blessings in my life.

Sorry for the rant. Gratitude is very important to me. And, this was probably more for me than anyone else. We are so blessed to live in America. We are so blessed to have a great family. We are blessed with everything we need. We need to remember who is ultimately responsible for our good fortune and strive to be deserving of it. Give, love, and be grateful.

I love you boys very much. I am grateful for you.

Love,
Dad


PS: Below are three of my favorite videos. One...of music video which shows how a little can go a long way. Two...a music video of soldiers who suffered for us. Three...a video of our Lord and Savior.


"World on Fire" by Sarah McLachlan


"Still in the Fight" by Mike Corrado


"His Hands" by Mike Garner (Kenneth Cope)

2 comments:

  1. B & B,

    Your daddy is a wise man. His comments to you are so very true. Be grateful for what you have and not ungrateful for that which you do not. Life is full of ups and downs. We are blessed as a family. We have many comforts that many do not. Love life and be thankful. Cherish that which your mommy and daddy provide for you. It is because of a deep love that they do it. Remember that Nana and Papi love you as well. We will be here to support you. PAPI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston and Braxton,

    I can't express to you enough how proud I am of my son, your daddy, for the wonderful man he has become. He has a very tender and giving heart. He has been through so many hard things in his life but has come out a better person. Heavenly Father blesses us with trials because they make us better people. What your daddy has told you in this letter is so true, learn these lessons early in life.

    I am proud of my family and the wonderful people they are. You are so lucky to have the opportunity to grow up with all these people loving you. I want to tell you a little bit about the original Barrow crew.

    I love and respect your Papi and you will too. Your Papi is such a wonderful example of a person who lives what he believes. One of the things he will say to you, more than once, is "Be grateful for what you have and not ungrateful for that which you do not". He believes this and lives this. Your Papi and I have been so richly blessed in our lives with PEOPLE. Another "Barrowism" is "Things are not important, people are". Always value the people in your lives, not what they have or what they can give you. I promise you, we may not always give you "things" but we will always give you our unconditional love and support. You can count on that.

    Your Nana will always be there for you. I will love and support you always. I love all my family more than anything else on this earth.

    Your Uncle B is a wonderful man. He is a lot like your Papi. He is a soldier who is willing to defend what he believes in. I am so proud of him for honoring his convictions. He honors God, family and his country, what a great example he will be to you. He is a loving husband, son and father.

    Your Aunt Ashlee is a wonderful self-sacraficing mother. She is a very strong women, who has already been through a lot in her young life. Her heart is soft and kind. She is a loving and giving person she will be a great example to you too.

    As our kids were growing up they learned the above lesson in our home. You will learn those lessons too. These lessons will prepare you for whatever occurs in your lives. Always know you can go to your Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ, for help. Your daddy can testify to you that they love you more than you know. You are their children. Always remember "You are a child of God".

    I love the song and video "His Hands". We listened to this song in our van as we traveled to school, church and vacations. We listened to this song in our home to remind us what Jesus did for each one of us. He gave us the greatest gift anyone ever could have ~ that of Eternal Life. Live your lives so you are able to return to live with Him again. There isn't anything more important in this life.

    I love you so much,

    Nana

    ReplyDelete