Monday, May 21, 2012

Just How Lucky...

Dear Boston & Braxton,

Last night, I didn't really sleep. I tossed and turned...thinking...wondering...hoping...praying...that tomorrow would be a good day. I don't sleep well these days, but I guess that is a good thing. I am in training after all. In recent weeks, I have slowly been tapering on the sleep. I can function on very little sleep, and in time, I will only get better. I am still not as good as your mother though. Anyways, the semi-sleepless nights have been spent pondering on how and if I can be a good dad. They have been spent contemplating the upcoming journey that we are about to begin. They have been spent stressing about the health and well being of both of you and your mom.

Today, I sat nervously in the waiting room awaiting our turn to see the doctor. This was a very big appointment for us. At this point, mommy is 34 weeks and 5 days pregnant with you two. At 31 weeks, Boston was weighing 3 pounds, 7 ounces and Braxton was tipping the scale at 3 pounds, 14 ounces. That was a little scary for us. The doctor was concerned that Boston was so much smaller than Braxton. The 7 ounces weight difference was the biggest yet, and the doctor was not thrilled about it. He was worried that they would continue to grow further apart. The majority of twins experience a size difference that continues to grow as the pregnancy continues. So, we were a little concerned.

So, when the time came, I sat nervously clutching your mommy's hand waiting on the words of the doctor. I couldn't stop shaking in my seat. I felt sick to my stomach. Your old man has a tendency to worry about everything...I take after Papi a little bit too much.

As the ultrasound began and I saw your growing bodies on the screen, the anticipation I felt began to grow. Would everything be alright? Did you both grow as much as we hoped? Would the doctor be happy with the progress?

We were hoping for his seal of approval. Your mother and I had been praying for your health. I put your mom on modified bed rest to help keep you guys healthy. Even though she got bored, she did well staying off her feet and resting. We only allowed her to get up for a couple small walks a day and to eat. It has been a blessing that I am able to work for home and help her. She has needed the help as she continues to grow along with you guys. When I couldn't stay home, Mema was more than willing to help Mommy with everything she needed. She helped cook and clean and it is an amazing help.

Enough about the bed rest though...after all...your mommy hates it.

Back to the ultrasound! As the tech measured you guys, my fear grew a little. But, when your mommy squeezed my hand, I felt like everything was going to be okay. The tech looked at the screen with a confused stare on her face. She began to double check her numbers And, then...she let us know the great news...you boys had jumped from the 9th percentile to the 28th. She was very happy as were we with the progress. Most of the time, babies might double in the percentile, but they don't usually triple. But, you guys did!

As of today, Boston is weighing in at 5 pounds, 3 ounces and Braxton is tipping the scale at 5 pounds, 8 ounces. It was such a relief to hear. All your mommy's resting and relaxing has paid off. You are two healthy growing boys. And, we feel very blessed.

The doctor was so happy. They were all impressed with the growth and told us to continue with the bed rest. In the end, you should both come into this world well over 6 pounds. If you mommy continues to rest, she will be able to carry you the distance! She will make it to 38 weeks which is the grand finale for twins. Only the toughest women make it there, and your mommy is one of them.

We are lucky to have her and pretty soon...we will see just how lucky!

I love you!

Love,
Dad

 

No comments:

Post a Comment